June 25, 2012

New York City: Top 5 Things to Do in 2012

This year, my annual pilgrimage to the Big Apple was accompanied by my family. I normally fly home to Vancouver to visit my parents, but they love Broadway so much (taking me to see Phantom of the Opera when I was 12), we decided to meet in New York to catch some plays and spend time together. My love for theater probably stems from my early exposure to my dad's obsession with Andrew Lloyd Webber and Broadway shows. Also, further explains my spontaneous 'jazz hand' moves.

There is never enough time to spend in New York, so there is always something new to see each time I visit. Last year, it was seeing the McQueen exhibit and watching a performance from the New York Ballet Company.

the colourful and fashionable streets of SOHO, nyc

This year, my top 5 must things to do in New York are: 

1. Catch a Musical. If you are going to see one musical in New York, get tickets to Once the Musical, and you will not be disappointed. The actors carry the story line and also perform on stage as the musical accompaniment. Brilliant, creative and highly memorable.
2. Visit the High Line Park. Modern and historical, the park is a calm and open space to explore the skyline and escape the hustle of New York.
3. Shop the Brookyln Flea Market. For delicious bites, vintage finds and a taste of hipster style, it's the busiest hangout on the weekends in Brooklyn.
4. Visit a Museum. There are so many museums to see in NY, but my favorite is a toss up between the MOMA and the MET. The MET won out this year since they have a special fashion exhibition, Prada and Schiaparelli, on until August.
5. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. For scenic views of lower Manhattan. You can also see iconic buildings from the distance on a clear day. Bonus: it's free, but you'll need to use your feet!

Brooklyn Bridge
view from Williamsburg
park in new york city
Central Park
fashionable streets in New York CIty
Scallop Tapas at Spanish restaurant, Pipa NYC
Tapas at Pipa, NYC
orders coming in and out from a kitchen

4 comments:

  1. OH, what gorgeous enticing photos! I can't wait to visit New York and do all the things I didn't get to do, like see a musical on Broadway and go to Brooklyn! -Jessica

    THEJESSICALBLOG.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect.
    I have been to NYC 3 times before at this time of year.
    I wish I could afford another trip there this year.
    Love.
    And have a lovely time with the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god, i wish i could be there this year as well.. We were here exactly one year ago! Souvenirs souvenirs..

    xx
    Virginie/ Style Reload

    ReplyDelete
  4. You take really beautiful pictures. I have never been to New York, but after looking at yours, I feel like I have!

    http://infinitehouseofillusions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...