August 17, 2011

Up Close and Intimate at Jean Paul Gaultier's exhibit

I was a little too 'snap happy' at the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, so I have decided to divide this into two parts. It was the perfect opportunity to practice my photography skills and capture fashion on still models, so I have over a hundred photos.

Already having seen the Alexander Mcqueen exhibit at the MET, I felt a bit spoiled. I was incredibly impressed with the thoughtful presentation from Mcqueen's exhibit and the high caliber of work, I wondered how JPG's exhibit could push the bar.  

Well, it did and it didn't.

First of all, JPG is not my favorite designer, but I had to see his work because of his influence on fashion and his contribution to many iconic looks (ie. Maddona's cone bra). I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation of the talking mannequins and the rotating models which brought some humor and life to the clothes, but I I also found JGP's interpretation of themes just too literal. His workmanship is no doubt extraordinarily detailed and impressive to see up close, but somehow, it lacks the beauty of refinement.

Overall, I enjoyed the exhibit and it definitely is a must-see if you are in Montreal. I walked away  feeling inspired and amazed. Stay tuned for Part two.

Warning: Post is image heavy

I thought this was a real skin until I looked closer.. it's beads! OMFG..
This was incredibly ugly, but executed extremely well. I was emotionally torn on this one..
Native American princess bride
The entrance to the exhibition with talking JPG on the right.

12 comments:

  1. The amount of detail in his work is absolutely stunning. I don't even know what to say...Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning photos!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!


    Check out my giveaway :) http://fashion-thrill.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-first-giveaway.html

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://fashion-thrill.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, JPG is not one of my favourite designers, but he's one of the only houses still showing couture, so there is no doubting his influence, even without the Madonna factor!

    Your photos are just beautiful. Thank you, a great post, I look forward to Part Two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In one word: amazing! Gorgeous pics and exhibition, thank you for sharing!

    Virginie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I had the pattern for those socks (top right), or ones like that. The boots are gorgeous too. If only I had lots of money...

    ReplyDelete
  6. would love to see this in person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn! I wish I could've gone when I was in Montréal!


    Wida
    Missing Amsie Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could have seen Savage Beauty, I'm so jealous. I did get to see the JPG exhibit and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Great shots, can't wait to see the next installment!

    check out my photos and thoughts on my blog
    http://www.larougenoire.blogspot.com/

    xo thea

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing I could think of when I was viewing these is ...

    "This would be sooooo darnded uncomfortable to wear!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I visited the exhibition in Madrid...It was free of charge!
    Good to know that the fashion world can fit in museums also

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...